Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think ground-breaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
WSP are looking for an Associate/Associate Director – Ground engineering play a delivery role in the provision of guidance and assistance to internal and external clients, regarding geotechnical and rock mechanics related issues.
WSP welcomes applications for part time and flexible working and would be happy to discuss potential options with you as part of your application.
Your new role, what’s involved?
- Assist in the design of geotechnical, geophysical and geo-environmental site investigations including recommendations for best intrusive techniques to be employed and specification of in-situ and laboratory testing.
- Assist in procurement of site investigation contractors.
- Supervise site investigation contractors, and have previous experience of undertaking site investigations and logging of soils and rocks.
- Undertake terrain evaluation, geohazard identification and field mapping of rock slopes/outcrops including undertaking kinematic analysis, Plane-Wedge-Toppling failure mechanisms of rock slopes.
- Undertake rock mass classification using RMR, GSI, Barton etc.
- Undertake scheduling of geotechnical and geo-environmental testing and also interpretation of the test results.
- Assist in the review and preparation of factual and interpretative geotechnical, geophysical and geo-environmental reports produced by others.
- Assist in the production of geotechnical and geo-environmental factual and interpretative reports – including the interpretation of geotechnical data.
- Evaluate and interpret data using 2D/3D geological and geotechnical modelling.
- Produce technical notes and geotechnical specifications.
- Be proficient in the design and construction of various tunneling and excavation and support techniques including Drill and Blast, TBM, Shotcrete, Room and Pillar etc.
- Take the design lead for rock stabilisation measures using FEM and LEM of soil and rock tunnels, caverns and shafts using suitable software including PLAXIS, Roc Science (RS2, RS3) or similar.
- Provide advice on construction of rock slopes, tunnels, caverns, and shafts including stabilisation using rock bolting, shotcreting, rock anchors or similar.
- Provide advice on underground construction in challenging ground and groundwater conditions including Karst, use of grout to control groundwater, control of ground settlement and volume loss.
- Be experienced in design and construction of temporary and enabling works for tunnels, caverns and shafts.
- Provide advice on the monitoring of settlement and vibrations associated with excavations in soil and rock.
- Actively participate in design and construction meetings with clients, consultants and contractors.
- Degree qualified within a geo-science, geology or geotechnical related field and have over 10-15 years post graduate experience
- Holding a driver’s license.
- Able to undertake project based travel and site work depending on business and client needs.
Knowledge and experience in the following areas (as many as possible):
- Site investigation techniques with experience in supervising field investigation works.
- Describing soil and rocks to international standards.
- A good understanding of engineering geology, structural geology and geological mapping principles.
- Experience with large data integration and development of geological models and engineering parameters.
- An understanding of Geotechnical Interpretative Reports including recommendations for deep and shallow foundations and shoring works.
- An understanding of foundations and shoring walls within soils and rocks would be advantageous.
- Good working knowledge of software packages such as Holebase, Dips, and other Rocscience software or similar.
- Knowledge of software packages such as WALLAP, Pdisp, Slope W or similar would be advantageous.
- An understanding of various ground improvement techniques.
- Experience of slope stability analyses using appropriate software with associated rock mass classifications, LE and FE modelling and kinematic analyses.
- Understanding of geo-environmental assessments including Phase 1, 2 and 3.
- Construction experience in deep foundations, Bulk Earthworks, shoring and ground improvement etc.
- Construction experience of tunnels, caverns and shafts in soils and rock.
- Any skills with AutoCAD and Civil 3D software would be advantageous.
Job Location Sharjah, United Arab Emirates Company Industry Civil Engineering; General Engineering Consultancy Company Type Unspecified Job Role Maintenance, Repair, and Technician Employment Type Full Time Employee Monthly Salary Range Unspecified Number of Vacancies1